Name Of Sneaker: Air Jordan 5 Island Green
Best Place To Purchase: Ebay.com
Price Range (At The Time Of This Review): $228.75-$622.90
Available Sizes: Men
Hey, what’s going on kickaholics? The Air Jordan Brand has recently dropped another dope colorway for the classic Air Jordan 5. The Air Jordan 5 Island Green is a must cop, considering it’s nice glow in the dark features.
Are you feeling this dope sneaker. You can make a purchase now if you are interested.
Who Is Michael Jordan?
Michael Jordan is a retired professional basketball player who has played for 15 seasons in NBA for the Chicago Bulls, and the Washington Wizards. During his time at the University of North Carolina in 1982, he played basketball for the North Carolina Tar Heels, and was drafted for the Chicago Bulls in 1984. He was able to entertain the crowd with his prolific scoring, defensive plays, and his ability to perform slam dunks from the free throw line at the slam dunk contests, which has earned him the nicknames: Air Jordan and His Airness.
He has won his first NBA Championship with the Bulls in 1991, and also winning again in 1992 and 1993 (three-peat). During the 1993-1994 NBA season, MJ has retired from basketball in order to pursue a minor career in baseball. In March 1995, MJ has announced his return to the NBA, and has led the Bulls to three additional championships during 1996-1998. In 1999, MJ retired from the NBA for the second time, but return again to play for the Washington Wizards during 2001-2003. Currently, MJ is the owner and chairman of the Charlotte Hornets.
MJ has numerous career highlights and awards:
- 6 times NBA champion (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 6 times NBA Finals MVP (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 5 times NBA MVP (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
- 14 times All-Star (1985-1993, 1996-1998, 2002, 2003)
- 3 times NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
- 10 times All-NBA First Team (1987-1993, 1996, 1998)
- All-NBA Second Team (1985)
- NBA Defensive Player Of The Year (1988)
- 9 times NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988-1993, 1996-1998)
- NBA Rookie Of The Year (1985)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)
- 10 times NBA Scoring Championship (1987-1993, 1996-1998)
- 3 times NBA Steals Leaders (1988, 1990, 1993)
- 2 times NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion (1987, 1988)
- 3 times AP Athlete Of The Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
- 2 times USA Basketball Male Athlete Of The Year (1983, 1984)
- Sports Illustrated Sportsperson Of The Year (1991)
- NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-time Team
- NCAA Champion (1982)
- Consensus National College Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Rookie Of The Year (1982)
- 2 times Consensus First-Team All-American (1983, 1984)
- 2 times First-Team All-ACC (1983, 1984)
- No. 23 Retired by Chicago Bulls
- N0. 23 Retired by Miami Heat
- No. 23 Retired by the University Of North Carolina
History Of The Air Jordan Brand
In 1984, Nike was a struggling shoe company looking for ways to appeal to a new segment of the shoe market, and to reinvent themselves. Nike has turned to rookie Michael Jordan to order to make an endorsement deal, but MJ showed no interest at all. MJ had plans to sign a deal with either Adidas or Converse; he loved the brands, and in North Carolina, these were the shoes that wore to play basketball in. Unfortunately, both of the brands rejected him.
Nike was offering to create a brand new line of shoes called Air Jordan, and MJ’s old agent, David Falk, saw this as a wonderful opportunity. MJ flew to the Nike headquarters in Portland, Oregon, after being convinced by his parents , and his agent. During his visit, Nike has shown him a special video presentation of his college career highlights, plus his high-flying Olympics moves with Pointer Sister’s “Jump” playing in the background. Peter Moore, Nike’s Old Head Designer, also shown MJ sketches of the Air Jordan 1, and apparel to go with it. It was featured in Black and Red, and MJ was very interested with these designs. He has stated: “I can’t wear these shoes, those are devil colors”.
MJ has decided to finally make a deal with Nike, and has signed a 5-year deal that was worth $2.5 million. MJ has fueled the success of Nike, and the Air Jordan Brand is still popular today.
The Air Jordan 5 History
The Air Jordan 5 was originally released back in February 1990, created by yours truly, Tinker Hatfield. It was the first Jordan to ever have clear rubber soles. On the midsole near the icy soles, you will also notice the flames on each side of the shoes. In Tinker’s eyes, Michael Jordan’s performance was like a “Fighter Plane”, so the sneaker was designed to look like a Fighter Plane. The Jordan 5 is an inspiration of the “grey nurse shark” or the World War 2 British Fighter Plane; the Spitfire MkV3. 3m reflection was also added on the shoe tongues. The sneakers were originally retailed for $125.00.
Features Of The Shoe
This colorway consists of white, black, and island green. The material is constructed with leather, along with leopard print. Island Green can found on the tongue, eyestay, translucent outsole, side panels, and branding.
Additionally, black hits the shoelaces, lining, and midsole, while metallic silver speckles can be found on the midsole as well.
These have recently released on November 11th, so they are available now. These are definitely something to add to your sneaker closet. GO AND COP A PAIR NOW!!
The Pros And Cons Of The Sneaker
- Cool Colors
- Runs True To Size
- Good Ankle Support
- Good Traction
- Easy To Clean
- Creases Easily
- Gets Dirty Fast
- Does Not Break In Quickly
Video Of The Sneaker
A nice colorway on the Air Jordan 5 I say. What are your thoughts on these??? Leave your comments and question in the comment section.
Make sure to also subscribe to my site for more sneaker blogs. Stay tuned as The Latest Sneakers will keep you updated.