What it do my fellow sneaker heads?? An University of North Carolina inspired colorway is set to drop the next day. Last year, there are rumors going around explaining that a possible Air Jordan 3 UNC PE would release in 2020.
That rumor somewhat happened to be true, as The Air Jordan 3 UNC will be dropping this weekend, but it’s a non PE version (it doesn’t come with UNC branded tongues, instead it’s replaced with the Jumpman Logos). As most of us know, UNC is Michael Jordan’s Alma Mater, which makes this the perfect colorway for the shoe. Are you ready to drop a couple hundred dollars for these??
Who Is Michael Jordan?
Michael Jordan is a retired professional basketball player who has played for 15 seasons in NBA for the Chicago Bulls, and the Washington Wizards. During his time at the University of North Carolina in 1982, he played basketball for the North Carolina Tar Heels, and was drafted for the Chicago Bulls in 1984. He was able to entertain the crowd with his prolific scoring, defensive plays, and his ability to perform slam dunks from the free throw line at the slam dunk contests, which has earned him the nicknames: Air Jordan and His Airness.
He has won his first NBA Championship with the Bulls in 1991, and also winning again in 1992 and 1993 (three-peat). During the 1993-1994 NBA season, MJ has retired from basketball in order to pursue a minor career in baseball. In March 1995, MJ has announced his return to the NBA, and has led the Bulls to three additional championships during 1996-1998. In 1999, MJ retired from the NBA for the second time, but return again to play for the Washington Wizards during 2001-2003. Currently, MJ is the owner and chairman of the Charlotte Hornets.
MJ has numerous career highlights and awards:
- 6 times NBA champion (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 6 times NBA Finals MVP (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 5 times NBA MVP (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
- 14 times All-Star (1985-1993, 1996-1998, 2002, 2003)
- 3 times NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
- 10 times All-NBA First Team (1987-1993, 1996, 1998)
- All-NBA Second Team (1985)
- NBA Defensive Player Of The Year (1988)
- 9 times NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988-1993, 1996-1998)
- NBA Rookie Of The Year (1985)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)
- 10 times NBA Scoring Championship (1987-1993, 1996-1998)
- 3 times NBA Steals Leaders (1988, 1990, 1993)
- 2 times NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion (1987, 1988)
- 3 times AP Athlete Of The Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
- 2 times USA Basketball Male Athlete Of The Year (1983, 1984)
- Sports Illustrated Sportsperson Of The Year (1991)
- NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-time Team
- NCAA Champion (1982)
- Consensus National College Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Rookie Of The Year (1982)
- 2 times Consensus First-Team All-American (1983, 1984)
- 2 times First-Team All-ACC (1983, 1984)
- No. 23 Retired by Chicago Bulls
- N0. 23 Retired by Miami Heat
- No. 23 Retired by the University Of North Carolina
History Of The Air Jordan Brand
In 1984, Nike was a struggling shoe company looking for ways to appeal to a new segment of the shoe market, and to reinvent themselves. Nike has turned to rookie Michael Jordan to order to make an endorsement deal, but MJ showed no interest at all. MJ had plans to sign a deal with either Adidas or Converse; he loved the brands, and in North Carolina, these were the shoes that wore to play basketball in. Unfortunately, both of the brands rejected him.
Nike was offering to create a brand new line of shoes called Air Jordan, and MJ’s old agent, David Falk, saw this as a wonderful opportunity. MJ flew to the Nike headquarters in Portland, Oregon, after being convinced by his parents , and his agent. During his visit, Nike has shown him a special video presentation of his college career highlights, plus his high-flying Olympics moves with Pointer Sister’s “Jump” playing in the background. Peter Moore, Nike’s Old Head Designer, also shown MJ sketches of the Air Jordan 1, and apparel to go with it. It was featured in Black and Red, and MJ was very interested with these designs. He has stated: “I can’t wear these shoes, those are devil colors”.
MJ has decided to finally make a deal with Nike, and has signed a 5-year deal that was worth $2.5 million. MJ has fueled the success of Nike, and the Air Jordan Brand is still popular today.
The Air Jordan 3 History
The Air Jordan 3 was first introduced back in 1987-1988. Nike have let go of Peter Moore (designer of the Air Jordan 1 and help designed the Air Jordan 2), and Bruce Kilgore (designer of the Air Jordan 2), and needed a new designer for the Air Jordan 3. Nike has turned to the famous Tinker Hatfield, who would later be known as the creator of Air Jordans 3-15 and 20.
Michael and Hatfield would always come up with great ideas for the next upcoming Jordan sneakers, and work hard on them. The Air Jordan 3 was the first ever Jordan sneaker to be a mid top; making it light weighted with plenty of durability. The Air Jordan 3 features the Air Jordan Jumpman logo on the back of the shoe, elephant print on the toe box and near the heels, and visible air sole units (This was the first Jordans to ever have this feature). During the 1987-1988 NBA season, MJ became the winner of the Slam Dunk Contest, All Star MVP, All Defensive First Team and Defensive Player Of The Year. MJ was wearing the 3s during all this success. The Air Jordan 1 and 2, the free throw dunk, and a elephant are inspirations of the Air Jordan 3.
The 3s were originally retailed for $100.00 back in 1988.
Features Of The Air Jordan 3 (According To Footlocker.com)
- The retro version of the legendary Air Jordan 3 worn on court by Michael Jordan in 1988.
- Full-grain leather upper. Select styles feature other materials.
- Features all of the Air Jordan 3s iconic details including elephant-print panels at the toe and heel, Jumpman logo branding, visible Air unit in heel, and TPU lace eyelets.
- Foam midsole and solid-rubber sole.
Features Of The Air Jordan 3 UNC
The sneaker comes with a white leather upper. You will also notice Carolina Blue hits on the heel area of the midsole, eyelets, and Jumpman Logos on the tongues. Additionally, it features the traditional elephant prints on the toe area, and heel area.
Finally, if you look behind the tongue areas, you will notice the words “HEART” and “SOUL” applied to those areas.
If you are looking forward to these, then you won’t have to wait too much longer. These are dropping tomorrow (March 7th) online and in-store. The retail price will be $190.00.
Air Jordan 3 UNC
March 7th, 2020
Style Code: CT8532-104
Video Of The Sneaker
This is a nice clean colorway for the Air Jordan 3. Sometimes keeping things simple is the best way to go. Are you feeling this upcoming release???
All comments and questions can be left below in the comment box. Make sure to subscribe to my site if you haven’t done so already. The Latest Sneaker will always have the updates, so stay tuned!!!