We will be seeing the release of the Air Jordan 1 Retro Nigel Sylvester this Saturday. The Nike Air Jordan 1 Guava Ice will be releasing on the same day as a part of the Nike Air Pack. There is a lot of heat dropping on the 1st, so get ready to cop these upcoming kicks!!
Who Is Michael Jordan?
Michael Jordan is a retired professional basketball player who has played for 15 seasons in NBA for the Chicago Bulls, and the Washington Wizards. During his time at the University of North Carolina in 1982, he played basketball for the North Carolina Tar Heels, and was drafted for the Chicago Bulls in 1984. He was able to entertain the crowd with his prolific scoring, defensive plays, and his ability to perform slam dunks from the free throw line at the slam dunk contests, which has earned him the nicknames: Air Jordan and His Airness.
He has won his first NBA Championship with the Bulls in 1991, and also winning again in 1992 and 1993 (three-peat). During the 1993-1994 NBA season, MJ has retired from basketball in order to pursue a minor career in baseball. In March 1995, MJ has announced his return to the NBA, and has led the Bulls to three additional championships during 1996-1998. In 1999, MJ retired from the NBA for the second time, but return again to play for the Washington Wizards during 2001-2003. Currently, MJ is the owner and chairman of the Charlotte Hornets.
MJ has numerous career highlights and awards:
- 6 times NBA champion (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 6 times NBA Finals MVP (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 5 times NBA MVP (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
- 14 times All-Star (1985-1993, 1996-1998, 2002, 2003)
- 3 times NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
- 10 times All-NBA First Team (1987-1993, 1996, 1998)
- All-NBA Second Team (1985)
- NBA Defensive Player Of The Year (1988)
- 9 times NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988-1993, 1996-1998)
- NBA Rookie Of The Year (1985)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)
- 10 times NBA Scoring Championship (1987-1993, 1996-1998)
- 3 times NBA Steals Leaders (1988, 1990, 1993)
- 2 times NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion (1987, 1988)
- 3 times AP Athlete Of The Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
- 2 times USA Basketball Male Athlete Of The Year (1983, 1984)
- Sports Illustrated Sportsperson Of The Year (1991)
- NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-time Team
- NCAA Champion (1982)
- Consensus National College Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Rookie Of The Year (1982)
- 2 times Consensus First-Team All-American (1983, 1984)
- 2 times First-Team All-ACC (1983, 1984)
- No. 23 Retired by Chicago Bulls
- N0. 23 Retired by Miami Heat
- No. 23 Retired by the University Of North Carolina
History Of The Air Jordan Brand
In 1984, Nike was a struggling shoe company looking for ways to appeal to a new segment of the shoe market, and to reinvent themselves. Nike has turned to rookie Michael Jordan to order to make an endorsement deal, but MJ showed no interest at all. MJ had plans to sign a deal with either Adidas or Converse; he loved the brands, and in North Carolina, these were the shoes that wore to play basketball in. Unfortunately, both of the brands rejected him.
Nike was offering to create a brand new line of shoes called Air Jordan, and MJ’s old agent, David Falk, saw this as a wonderful opportunity. MJ flew to the Nike headquarters in Portland, Oregon, after being convinced by his parents , and his agent. During his visit, Nike has shown him a special video presentation of his college career highlights, plus his high-flying Olympics moves with Pointer Sister’s “Jump” playing in the background. Peter Moore, Nike’s Old Head Designer, also shown MJ sketches of the Air Jordan 1, and apparel to go with it. It was featured in Black and Red, and MJ was very interested with these designs. He has stated: “I can’t wear these shoes, those are devil colors”.
MJ has decided to finally make a deal with Nike, and has signed a 5-year deal that was worth $2.5 million. MJ has fueled the success of Nike, and the Air Jordan Brand is still popular today.
The Air Jordan 1 History
The Air Jordan 1 was first introduced way back in 1984-1985, created by Peter Moore. Michael Jordan has become the Rookie Of The Year, and played in the All-Star game. It was the first basketball shoe wore in the NBA that featured multiple colors. MJ first disliked the sneaker, but started to grew on him overtime.
During that time, the famous sneaker was banned by Commissioner of the NBA, David Stern, since the sneakers didn’t follow the standard uniform policy and the sneaker had to be 50% white. MJ wasn’t allowed to wear the shoes on the court, but MJ refused to play without them anyways. He was fined $2,000 for every time he worn the sneakers on the court. However, Nike has covered the fines, and also gave the Air Jordan 1 the “The Shoe Banned By The NBA” label.
There were over 23 different color variations released, and the Air Jordan 1 also came with two sets of shoe laces that matched the colorway on the sneakers. The shoe was originally retailed at $65.00.
Features Of The Shoe
This shoe features canvas and leather on the upper of the shoe. Additionally, you will notice the classic Wings Logos on the ankles, along with a sail midsole and guava ice outsole. Finally, a text showing Nike’s Copywrite Disclaimer is located on the medial side, while NIKE can be found on the lateral side.
Mark your calendars!! These are set to release September 1st, for $160.00. If these are something you desire, then go for it.
Nike Air Jordan 1 Guava Ice
September 1st, 2018
Video Of The Sneaker
These would look good on any sneaker lovers’ feet. Are you looking forward to these releasing this weekend?? What are your thoughts on them??? Leave questions and comments below, and I will get to you asap. Also, make sure to like, share, and subscribe. Stay tuned as The Latest Sneakers will keep you updated!!!
Thanks For Reading!!!