Name Of Sneaker: Air Jordan 9 UNC
Best Place To Purchase: Ebay.com
Price Range (Doing The Time Of This Review): $99.95-$610.50
Available Sizes: Toddler, Preschool, Grade School, Men
The 2019 NBA All-Star Game is soon to come, and is taking place in Charlotte, North Carolina. Today, an UNC-inspired colorway on the Air Jordan 9s (The College that Michael Jordan has attended) has finally released. The Air Jordan 9 UNC would be perfect to wear during All-Star weekend, and they are available in ALL sizes. What do you think about these sneakers??? You can make a purchase now.
Who Is Michael Jordan?
Michael Jordan is a retired professional basketball player who has played for 15 seasons in NBA for the Chicago Bulls, and the Washington Wizards. During his time at the University of North Carolina in 1982, he played basketball for the North Carolina Tar Heels, and was drafted for the Chicago Bulls in 1984. He was able to entertain the crowd with his prolific scoring, defensive plays, and his ability to perform slam dunks from the free throw line at the slam dunk contests, which has earned him the nicknames: Air Jordan and His Airness.
He has won his first NBA Championship with the Bulls in 1991, and also winning again in 1992 and 1993 (three-peat). During the 1993-1994 NBA season, MJ has retired from basketball in order to pursue a minor career in baseball. In March 1995, MJ has announced his return to the NBA, and has led the Bulls to three additional championships during 1996-1998. In 1999, MJ retired from the NBA for the second time, but return again to play for the Washington Wizards during 2001-2003. Currently, MJ is the owner and chairman of the Charlotte Hornets.
MJ has numerous career highlights and awards:
- 6 times NBA champion (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 6 times NBA Finals MVP (1991-1993, 1996-1998)
- 5 times NBA MVP (1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, 1998)
- 14 times All-Star (1985-1993, 1996-1998, 2002, 2003)
- 3 times NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)
- 10 times All-NBA First Team (1987-1993, 1996, 1998)
- All-NBA Second Team (1985)
- NBA Defensive Player Of The Year (1988)
- 9 times NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988-1993, 1996-1998)
- NBA Rookie Of The Year (1985)
- NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)
- 10 times NBA Scoring Championship (1987-1993, 1996-1998)
- 3 times NBA Steals Leaders (1988, 1990, 1993)
- 2 times NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion (1987, 1988)
- 3 times AP Athlete Of The Year (1991, 1992, 1993)
- 2 times USA Basketball Male Athlete Of The Year (1983, 1984)
- Sports Illustrated Sportsperson Of The Year (1991)
- NBA’s 50th Anniversary All-time Team
- NCAA Champion (1982)
- Consensus National College Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Player Of The Year (1984)
- ACC Rookie Of The Year (1982)
- 2 times Consensus First-Team All-American (1983, 1984)
- 2 times First-Team All-ACC (1983, 1984)
- No. 23 Retired by Chicago Bulls
- N0. 23 Retired by Miami Heat
- No. 23 Retired by the University Of North Carolina
History Of The Air Jordan Brand
In 1984, Nike was a struggling shoe company looking for ways to appeal to a new segment of the shoe market, and to reinvent themselves. Nike has turned to rookie Michael Jordan to order to make an endorsement deal, but MJ showed no interest at all. MJ had plans to sign a deal with either Adidas or Converse; he loved the brands, and in North Carolina, these were the shoes that wore to play basketball in. Unfortunately, both of the brands rejected him.
Nike was offering to create a brand new line of shoes called Air Jordan, and MJ’s old agent, David Falk, saw this as a wonderful opportunity. MJ flew to the Nike headquarters in Portland, Oregon, after being convinced by his parents , and his agent. During his visit, Nike has shown him a special video presentation of his college career highlights, plus his high-flying Olympics moves with Pointer Sister’s “Jump” playing in the background. Peter Moore, Nike’s Old Head Designer, also shown MJ sketches of the Air Jordan 1, and apparel to go with it. It was featured in Black and Red, and MJ was very interested with these designs. He has stated: “I can’t wear these shoes, those are devil colors”.
MJ has decided to finally make a deal with Nike, and has signed a 5-year deal that was worth $2.5 million. MJ has fueled the success of Nike, and the Air Jordan Brand is still popular today.
The Air Jordan 9 History
The Air Jordan 9 was first introduced way back in 1993. Michael Jordan was in Asia to promote for Nike while Tinker Hatfield and Nike were working on the Air Jordan 9. There are a lot of features on the sneakers that comes from Japanese Culture, in which Hatfield was very influenced by. On the bottom of each shoe, you will notice words in different languages that best represents Michael Jordan:
- Uhuru (Swahili) – Independence
- cbo6oAa (Russian) – Freedom
- Cnopt (Russian) – Sport
- Athletisch (German) – Athletic
- Muundaji (Swahili) – Hope
- Intenso (Italian) – Intense
- Liberte (French) – Freedom
- Anmutig (German) – Graceful
- Fuerza (Spanish) – Force
- Dedie (French) – Dedicated
The Air Jordan 9 is equipped with a dynamic-fit inner bootie, encapsulated air-sole unit (forefoot), large volume air-sole unit (heel), polyurethane midsole and a “one-pull” lace system. The original retail for the sneakers was $125.00.
Features Of The Shoe
The shoe is dressed up in a white, UNC blue, and midnight navy color combination. The upper features a smooth and patent leather. White is applied to the upper of the shoe, while midnight navy covers the midsole, heel areas, mudguard, tongue areas, and inner lining. Finally, hits of UNC blue can be found on the branding, and a white midsole can also be seen.
The 2019 NBA All-Star Game doesn’t start until February 17th, but these have dropped today. They are available in ALL sizes. GO AND COP A PAIR NOW!!
Pros And Cons Of The Sneaker
- Cool Colors
- Good Ankle Support
- Runs True To Size
- Good Traction
- Easy To Clean
- Creases Easily
- Gets Dirty Fast
- Does Not Break In Quickly
Video Of The Sneaker
This year of NBA All-Star Weekend should be a moment to remember. You may want to cop these to wear to the special event. What are your thoughts on these?? Leave your comments and questions in the comment section, and I will be happy to help you out. Also, make sure to like, share, and subscribe for more sneaker content. Stay tuned, as there are more updates on the way!!